Saturday, May 6, 2017

Why the blog?

Why the blog? Why not?... ok, that's a lazy man's answer... which is what I've been lately. For the past decade now I have wanted to compete in (more like just complete an) Ironman. Due to sheer laziness and some slightly bad luck with my shoulder (explained in a later blog) I haven't ever really come close to my goal.

Why the Ironman:

Why not? (...ok, the jokes old...) I can't think of a sport that gives a better measure of what the human body is capable of, or at least what mine is capable of. It takes a combination of endurance, strength, and sheer will just to cross that finish line... or so I'm told.

Previous athletic experience:

If I had to sum this up in a small phrase it would be: average American. Growing up I played the sports that your average American kid played; soccer, football, basketball, wrestling, etc. If I had a strength it would have been my speed. Like most bench warmers I enjoyed the practices more than the games. You see, when you can't really compete with the talent of other athletes, you have to find other ways to compete. I noticed pretty early on that if I wasn't more talented than others, I would have to out hustle them. So that's what I did; I ran faster, longer and harder than almost anyone else during those practices and it earned me the privilege of starting a few games my senior year.

Ok Brad, what's this go to do with Ironman. (I'm getting to that, I promise)

Current athletic experience:

None. Ok, that's not exactly true. Since high school I've found other ways to be active: rock climbing, rafting, skiing, and of course the staples of running, cycling and swimming. But, these have been very sporadic at best. I've done a couple of runs and did one duathlon in college, but mostly I've just been incredibly lazy.

My greatest competitor: 

Plying sports growing up I was always competing against others. I guess some could say that in Ironman you're competing against others, however, for me that's just not the case. Ironman for me is a shift in my mindset from competing against others to competing against myself. I've always been my greatest opponent so this will probably be one of the most challenging goals of my life.

The Goal:

If at the end of this whole thing all I've done is completed an Ironman I will have considered my time wasted. Given enough physical training, anyone can go out and complete the 140.6 miles necessary to call themselves and Ironman. That won't be enough for me. If I don't come away from this with better health, discipline, and a sense of who I am, then I will consider it all for nothing.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Stress eating

Not really sure what day this would be at this point. I have been exercising pretty regularly, with the exception of these last couple of d...